In the System, we distinguish between:
- Vector layer
- General layer
- Data Model layer
- WMS layer
A map (cartographic visualisation) consists of many layers.
- All hydrants are grouped into a layer (because they are objects of the same type)
- All water pipes are also a layer
- An orthophotomap loaded by WMS is also a layer
What can be done with a layer?
- A layer can be added/loaded into the Project (added via the Layer Manager). The name of the layer will appear in the Legend Panel
- The layer can be turned on/off, i.e. you can decide whether it should appear in the Map Window.
- The layer can be given a style (in the Symbolisation Manager)